Friday, March 15, 2013

Trust, believe and know

While driving into work yesterday, I was talking to my mom on the phone. Catching up, finding out when she'll be down for a visit and talking about my fund raising. She asked how this week was going and I told her I hadn't heard or received anything, but for people who donate online, I don't have visibility to it until Friday. She old me not to get discouraged and I reminded her that I only have 1.5 months left to raise it. Same story, different day.

I've told you before that YES I trust in God and YES I believe He wants me on this trip and YES I know that this is part of the journey but boy...it can be a hard one.

So, I head into work and put the conversation behind me and get started on my day. One of my assistants and I laugh all day long! All the time. We have the same weird sense of humor and just laugh....tough job, I know! So I'm not thinking about my conversation or different ways to raise money.

But then this couple comes in. They sat in one of the foot massagers and then moved to the massage chairs. I helped them in both and she told me that she loved this foot massager she tried in Taiwan. I asked her what brought her there and she said she had done two missions trips there. I told her I had family in China now and she asked me if I've ever thought about doing missions work in China. I tell her not really, Africa is in my heart and tell them I'm going to Uganda this summer. Then she asks me if I'm raising the money or paying for it? So I told them my story. I'm trying to raise it, I have to, I don't have $3000 but feel led and called to serve God this way. I told them that raising the money has been really hard and at times really discouraging. Well, it turns out they were both pretty well versed in raising money for missions and he has to raise money for his yearly salary as a Campus ministry leader in DC. He has taken classes on it and offered some tips. Then he recalls his scripture reading from that morning and he says to his girlfriend, "remember I was just telling you about it this afternoon." You could just see Jesus all over them as individuals and as a couple. (I hope someday, someone uses that description as a way of describing me!)

His scripture reading was 3 John 1:5-8

3 John 1:5-8
New International Version (NIV)
5 Dear friend, you are faithful in what you are doing for the brothers and sisters,[a] even though they are strangers to you. 6 They have told the church about your love. Please send them on their way in a manner that honors God. 7 It was for the sake of the Name that they went out, receiving no help from the pagans. 8 We ought therefore to show hospitality to such people so that we may work together for the truth.

He tells me that we need to not look at it as begging, but as a way to allow people to partner with God on behalf of all that are called to share God's love with the world! Did I mention this couple is like 20-22 years old! What wisdom!!

Wow! To top it off...she looked at him and said, I can write a check right now! She pulls out her checkbook, reads my name tag and writes a check for $50 to Maureen. I try not to cry (in front of them) give them each a hug and say thank you, I really needed that today. They old me not to get discouraged and trust in God. and just like that, they leave.

I know that this couple was a gift from God. He knew what I needed. Not just the money but the encouragement. And the reminder that I am right where I'm supposed to be. Thank you, Jesus.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lead not on your own understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment